lördag 29 september 2018

TWO WEEKS IN LA



Passenger, in Silver Lake.


Exhausted after grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.


General store, in Venice.


Lovebirds at Manhattan beach.


Tortoise general store, in Venice.

Today, we've lived in LA for two weeks. I'm slowly adjusting to life here and also being a student again. Somehow it feels like we've been here much longer than two weeks. But then, a lot has happened since we left Sweden. Moving overseas is super fun but it also takes a lot of energy. At the end of every day we are pretty much done. Just to go grocery shopping is a little exhausting. I mean, what cereal do you pick out of thousands of options?! And why is everyone in the store asking me how I'm doing? Leave a Swede alone will you?! 

 I've only had a couple of classes yet but they all seem great and I'm excited to be able to go even deeper into the world of design and architecture. UCLA's campus is beautiful and HUGE, it's practically a village of it's own. I'm also starting to notice how fun and interesting LA is architecture wise. There's really no limits to how crazy and innovative you can be when building a house here. The more you stand out, the better. Sounds pretty much like LA, right? The classes I'm taking at the moment are: History of environmental arts, Fundamentals of interior architecture and Elements of design. Sounds very fun if you ask me.

The last couple of weeks have been both interesting and exciting. I've learned how to be aggressive in traffic (it's the only way to do it here) and drive on a highway with eight lanes (it's pretty much like driving on a smaller road but with more cars...) and some other things that I don't remember at the moment. Some days it DOES feel like all you do here is driving haha. Although moving overseas is challenging at some times I feel so privileged that I get to do it together with my best friend and have his support everyday. It really makes all the difference. Home is wherever he is.

However, one other thing that might help me feel at home here quicker is this incredible store called Tortoise that is based here in LA. They sell amazing art, ceramic and furniture from Japanese artists. At the moment we live at Noah's friends house, but when we do get an apartment of our own... I will fill it up with beautiful art pieces from Tortoise. Sorry babe, it's gonna be expensive. 

xx Ida

1 kommentar: